Stories

Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Andrew Boyd's Story

Rate this item
(0 votes)

Andrew Boyd's Story

I first traveled to Honduras in the summer of 2005. Like most great experiences in my life, it was unexpected.  Lakeshore Fellowship Church (LFC) decided to adopt a small rural Honduran village by the name of Quiscamote.  At the time the trip was announced, I had neither the funds nor the desire to go on a trip to Honduras.  However, a month before the trip I was given a ticket to go. With that first trip God planted a seed that would later completely take hold of my life.

I attended college from 2005-2009 (Go Blue!). During that time I had the chance to go back to Honduras several times. Each trip I got to know people better and experienced a growing passion to do something in the region. I also learned about the power of microfinance to help people rise out of poverty. I felt this could be a great and meaningful way to help La Unión, but at the time, I wasn't quite sure how to actually do it. I got the opportunity when myself and an amazing group of friends came together to do a research project in the region. We saw this as our way to begin efforts that would eventually lead to a development organization.

In October of 2009 that dream was realized when we incorporated Union MicroFinanza (UMF) as non-profit organization. As of 2012, UMF works in 24 villages serving over 191 La Union farmers with agricultural microloans, business training and supply chain and infrastructural assistance. We have imported over 95,000 lbs of our farmers' coffee to the United States as a specialty product.

The relationships that I have formed through this journey are what have made me who I am today. I am so blessed to be doing what I am. I would not trade it for anything. I grew up in a great church at LFC with great leaders and supporters that opened doors for me that I would not have been able to open myself. I work with a team of people that care so much for about what they do that they are willing to take no pay and sell their homes. More so, we work with an amazing group of communities in La Union, Honduras.

I hope you will consider coming to visit us. 

www.unionmicrofinanza.org

A UMF farmer & his daughterA resident of La Union

A UMF farmer & his daughter ~ photo by Morgan Fett            A resident of La Union ~ photo by Morgan Fett

The 2012 Mission Team

The 2012 Honduras Mission Team

Read 2094 times Last modified on Friday, July 06, 2018
A Congregation of the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod

Please publish modules in offcanvas position.